I loved watching Betsy's video for the 6th anniversary challenge, iron. What a cool technique! Who would have known how relatively easy it is to get a metal look with paper, texture paste, ink and some metallic pigment powder?
For my project, I pulled out a new to me set, You're a Masterpiece from the Make It Market kit, which I managed to snag when it was offered a second time during PTI's February anniversary festivities. I love the frame in that set and thought I could use it to make my own version of a "metal" frame.
My biggest challenge was finding a suitable alternative to the texture paste and an empty bottle with a small enough nozzle to dispense the watered down paste. I really didn't want to go hunt for it at the craft store this weekend. Once again, my boyfriend Rob came to the rescue! His hobby includes tools and tinkering with cars. His craft room is the garage, and like me, he usually has multiple versions of various supplies! When I showed him Betsy's video, he thought maybe I could use some watered down paint spackle in an empty Elmer's glue bottle and he was kind enough to go prepare some for me and empty out a partially use glue bottle he had on his work bench. It worked! He's a genius. :-)
My first attempt was thwarted as I forgot to cut out the center square from the frame before I applied the paste, ink blending and perfect pearls, and when I went to run the square die through my machine, I discovered the paste hadn't fully dried (even though I'd blasted it for a long time with my heat tool) and it pulled off onto my die cutting plate. Argh! Do over. So here is my second attempt, and I made sure to die cut the middle out of the frame before I even started to apply the paste, ink or perfect pearls pigment!
A sentiment and leaf from Autumn Pumpkins and a die cut cart and pumpkins from the Market Street Make It Market kit layered on some Leaf Prints patterned paper finished off my card.

No comments:
Post a Comment